Friday, September 28, 2012

Savin' for Sukkot part 2

Two years ago around the holiday of Sukkot my 2 1/2 year old daughter (at the time) needed a Lulav and Etrog* of her own to shake on Sukkot

It didn't take me long to decide to take her to the produce department at our local grocery store to see what she will choose as her very own Lulav and Etrog. I was actually very impressed that she picked up a lemon right away and said "Here is the Etrog, now I need a Lulav...". She look around and tried a couple of different vegetables to be her Lulav. First she picked up a bunch of scallions but it was too flimsy. Then she picked up some celery but it was too tall and straight. Her last choice was a Leek! It was perfect, not too stiff and not too flimsy! She said "Hey mommy, I found my perfect Lulav! I am all set for Sukkot!" 

It really was perfect and ever since then I have been buying her a Leek and a Lemon for Sukkot, for her to have her very own Lulav and Etrog set!

Chag Samech!
 
*Note: An Etrog is actually not a lemon but rather a Citron, although they can look alike. The Lulav is a Palm Tree branch.

Sukkot is Jewish Holiday that begins at sun-down on Sunday September 30 and ends a week later on October 9th. Throughout that time posts will be sporadic being that my family and I will be celebrating the Holiday!   

See Savin' for Sukkot Part 1 here!

No comments:

Post a Comment